Palewell Press is an independent publisher of work in all genres, based in South West London.
We believe in building a sustainable world that can support itself and all its peoples, in which they share equally and are protected from abuse and
injustice. Our part in that is to publish writers with something important to say about the world. We work with authors to build the best possible book
and, by publishing it, help them share their ideas. Since 2016, an increasing number of our books are being written by or about refugees.
Manuscript Submission is open to all writers — beginners and established, based in the UK or elsewhere – in virtually any genre.
Mixed genres, such as poetry and memoir, will be considered. Manuscripts may be of any length. To understand the kind of work we publish,
we suggest you look at some of our publications.
What to submit
- POETRY SUBMISSIONS should consist 10 pages of poetry or 10 poems, whichever is longest, plus an indication of whether the poet is preparing a pamphlet (of at least 24 poems)
or a full collection (of at least 48 poems).
- LONG FICTION SUBMISSIONS should consist of the first 10,000 words plus a 300-word synopsis.
- SHORT FICTION SUBMISSIONS should consist of one story plus a one-line description of the other stories.
- NON-FICTION SUBMISSIONS should consist of the first 10,000 words plus a chapter plan and description of the intended audience.
- All submissions should be accompanied by a 300-WORD WRITER BIO plus a proposal of how the writer would HELP TO MARKET their publication.
When to Submit
- The submissions window for 2021 is now closed and manuscripts are being evaluated.
- The schedule for 2022 is organised into two half-year periods:
- Manuscripts received by June 30th 2021 will be evaluated for publication between January and June 2022. A decision will be communicated to submitters by the end of the 3rd quarter 2021.
- Manuscripts received by December 31st 2021 will be evaluated for publication between July and December 2022. A decision will be communicated to submitters by the end of the 1st quarter 2022.
- With the limited number of publication slots available there is no guarantee that a manuscript, even if accepted, will be published during the periods described above.
- We ask all those planning to submit a manuscript to purchase a book or pamphlet through our on-line bookstore.
When submitting the manuscript and associated documents, in the subject line of the email please type “Submission” followed by the Transaction Id from your PayPal order.
This purchase will support our publication of work by and about refugees and other disadvantaged groups.
- Submissions should be emailed to the Submissions Editor, at email@example.com
in .doc, .docx or .rtf file formats only. Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- Eventually we will reply to all submitters by email, so thank you in advance for your patience.
- If a submission is not accepted, we will let the writer know by email but won’t offer individual feedback.
- If a submission is accepted, we will email the writer to start discussing possible publication.
- When compiling our anthologies, we also accept for submission individual poems or short sections of prose.
- These may already have been published on-line, in magazines or anthologies provided the writer retains copyright and can licence Palewell Press to publish them again with no additional payments or paperwork.
- When submitting, please indicate which material has already been published or broadcast.
- When contributing work to one of our anthologies there is no requirement to purchase a book or pamphlet.